Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Christian And The World

But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Galatians 6:14, ESV
On a Sunday evening earlier this month, I preached a sermon based upon Isaac Watts' classic hymn, When I Survey The Wondrous Cross. In that study, we noted how many of the thoughts expressed in that beloved hymn center around that God-breathed statement Paul made to the church of Christ in Galatia (see Galatians 6:14 above).

When I make the commitment to follow Christ, thereby sacrificing "all the vain things that charm me most," I am presented with indescribable blessings and riches eternal. At the same time, I am presented with a great challenge: To strike a balance of living in the world while, at the same time, not partaking in the evil deeds thereof.

Consider a handful of ways the Bible describes the Christian's relationship to this world (or age):


  1. Delivered from it (Galatians 1:4)
  2. Crucified to it (Galatians 6:14)
  3. Dead to its elemental spirits (Colossians 2:20)
  4. Not conformed to it (Romans 12:2)
  5. Unknown by it (1 John 3:1)
  6. Hated by it (John 17:14a)
  7. Not of it (John 17:14b)
  8. Loves it not (1 John 2:15-17)
  9. Unstained by it (James 1:27)
  10. Shuns its friendship (James 4:4)
  11. Messengers to it (John 17:18)
  12. Victorious over it (1 John 4:4; 5:4-5)

r2