Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A Tribute To Grandma

On July 31, 1919 in Wadsworth, Ohio, Marcella Ruth McMullen was born to Clarence and Audrey McMullen. My mom's mom, now Marcella Ruth Vaughn, turns 88 today. The photograph at right was taken circa 1920. The one to the left shows my grandma on the left with her baby sister, "Dot."

My grandma is one of the strongest, most resilient, and most virtuous women I have ever known. Here is just a small handful of events from her life:

  1. She grew up during "The Great Depression" of the 1930's.
  2. She saw her young husband shipped off to the South Pacific during World War II.
  3. Two of her daughters (including my mom) were stricken with Polio in the 1950's. My aunt Judy was severely affected by this terrible disease.
  4. She faced great heartbreak when her first husband and high school sweetheart (my grandfather) became unfaithful, resulting in a divorce.
  5. Her second husband, "Tippy," passed away in 2004.

Lest you get the wrong impression, my grandma has lived what I would deem a happy and fulfilling life to this point. She has wonderful friends, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and even one great-great-granddaughter! However, when I think about some of the "storms" she has weathered in her 88 years, I am so thankful for her righteous example. Giving up would have been the easy, and, perhaps natural thing to do. But grandma never gave up!

She raised her three children the right way, showing them the importance of serving God even in the midst of hard times -- without the support of her husband. When I think about the way my own mother taught me, I am well aware of the fact that she passed down what her own mother taught her many years ago. It brings to mind this passage from the New Testament:


I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well.

2 Timothy 1:5, ESV


Not that I am presuming myself to be some modern-day version of Timothy, but whatever success I have in serving the Lord and his church, I owe an immeasurable debt to my grandmother, Marcella, and my mother, Jill.

How thankful we can be for the influence of righteous people in our lives!

r2