Friday, June 22, 2007

One Weak Valve Equals One Big Mess

Those who know me at least somewhat well are well aware of the fact that I am one of the most squeamish of all the people who have ever walked the face of this planet. It's not only the sight of blood or an injury that will cause me to squirm and feel ill. Often just hearing about it will cause me to be weak in the knees! I've always said it's a good thing I had no aspirations to work in the medical field, for my dreams would have been dashed early on.

I struggled mightily in my science classes in which I was responsible for dissecting everything from a cow's eye (yuck!), to a frog (ugh!), to a fetal pig (ahhhh!), to a cat (excuse me for a moment........). Don't bother sending me emails making fun of my wimpiness, for I acknowledge it in full.

I'm glad I was sitting down this morning when I read a story about a certain tanker truck spill in the Pacific Northwest. This past Wednesday, the truck -- carrying 4,000 pounds of pig blood -- spilled all its contents on a roadway in Klamath Falls, Oregon. Zoikes!! Biohazard teams were sent to clean up the scene caused by a broken valve on the tanker truck.

Here are the numbers:

4,000 pounds pig blood
200 feet of roadway
1 tanker truck
1 broken valve on said tanker truck

That tanker truck was only as strong as its weakest link, and its weakest link happened to be exceptionally weak! The church of God is a living organism, made up of all sorts of individuals. At any point in time -- past, present, or future -- that number will always include those who are experiencing a spell of weak faith.

How are we to treat these brothers and sisters?
"And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all."
1 Thessalonians 5:14, ESV
If my counting is correct, this divine directive includes four verbs -- four terms of action God prescribes for our dealings with a weak brother or sister.
  1. Admonish
  2. Encourage
  3. Help
  4. Be patient

So friend, while holding fast to and being uncompromising with the doctrine of Christ, take care to admonish, encourage, help, and be patient with our weak brethren. When your own weaker times come, you will need the same!

R2